The best Matcha spots in Derry
Must-try Matchas in Derry
1. Offing Coffee
📍1 Foyle Road, Derry/Londonderry BT48 6SQ
Of course, my top reason is the quality of matcha. Hot or cold, a vanilla matcha never disappoints. However, it comes in close with the atmosphere and location. It’s calm, quiet, and, not to mention, the most scenic cafe in Derry.
They offer a small menu and a variety of tempting sweet treats. Although it’s small, it’s carefully chosen, focusing on quality and flavour rather than overwhelming choices.
Offing is also dog-friendly, so it’s perfect for a pit stop on your dog walk along the river!
2. Hang ten. Brewbar
📍70 Strand Road, Derry/Londonderry BT48 7AJ
My second recommendation for a matcha in Derry is Hang Ten, the first coffee shop I visited when I moved to Derry. Hang Ten offers a cosy student-like atmosphere with again, a small menu and a selection of sweet treats.
Beyond the drinks, the overall vibe is what makes Hang Ten special. The staff are friendly, the space feels thoughtfully put together, and it manages to feel both modern and laid-back at the same time. Whether you’re a regular or visiting for the first time, it never feels rushed or impersonal. It's one of my favourite places to take family and friends when they come to visit me.
My favourite thing about Hang Ten is that they sell their own products. I often buy their Matcha so I can remake it at home instead of taking a trip into town every time I'd like one. I like to tell myself I have mastered my own matcha as it is so simple, but there's always room for improvement! See the clip below on how I use Hang Tens Matcha to make my own...
3. Graft
📍1 Mountjot Terrace, Derry/Londonderry, BT48 7LF
The Matcha in Graft is definitely a strong contender to be my favourite in Derry. Is it smooth, creamy and easy to drink (not sickly with syrup). Sometimes when you get syrup in a matcha, there can be too much or too little, which ruins the drink. However, Graft does it just right - perfectly whisked.
It is out of the way of the city centre, and it sits right on a hill. So I highly reccommend if you are near because it has a cosy, friendly vibe. It offers sweet treats, a small menu, and its own merch and products. However, they don't sell their own matcha!! Only coffee and jam :( Graft is also dog-friendly and has a Polaroid wall for dogs who visit!!
Definitely a must-try if you are in the area - ☆☆☆☆☆
4. Jerusalem Bakery & Coffeehouse
📍45 Great James Street, Derry/Londonderry, BT48 7DF
Jerusalem Bakery & Coffeehouse is a popular Palestinian café on Great James Street known for its fresh pastries and coffee, served in a cosy, welcoming space that’s quickly become a favourite with locals. The matcha is worth a try, but it definitely leans more sweet than savoury, with the vanilla coming through nicely and softening the earthy matcha flavour, so it’s perfect if you prefer your matcha creamy and slightly indulgent rather than strong and earthy. They also do a variety of flavours, which is rare to find, especially in Derry.
When Jerusalem first opened, it was so busy that it briefly had to close to bring in more staff, and since then, it’s built a strong community vibe while supporting charitable causes. It also offers a large variety of fresh bakes that you cannot miss!




Comments
Post a Comment